All those coming back.

Guest earlswood

Guest earlswood

Do not worry…It’s good…the weather is cold but it is winter, the goverment is still crap but hey ho...the roads are overcrowdwd......but people actually have a smile on their faces ….shops are brilliant and cheap, and the beer tastes like beer……curries taste wonderful after 2 years of not having a decent one….and where is this recession….the shops are BUZZIN….. Air feels good and cold and fresh...the old Country looks OK to me... :emoticon-signxmas:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest MariAndyok

Ask the guys from car Production plants who are on a 4 day week and have been told to take a month off because of no forward orders. Ask my mates who are blockpavers & builders who have no/little work. So the shops are buzzing...they will be, it's nearly Christmas and those people with credit cards will still buy no matter what...will they be able to meet the bill when it comes probably not but that's the society we live in? What else is there to do in the UK on a cold December day? Shop

Guest earlswood
Ask the guys from car Production plants who are on a 4 day week and have been told to take a month off because of no forward orders. Ask my mates who are blockpavers & builders who have no/little work. So the shops are buzzing...they will be, it's nearly Christmas and those people with credit cards will still buy no matter what...will they be able to meet the bill when it comes probably not but that's the society we live in? What else is there to do in the UK on a cold December day? Shop

Moving Back To The UK forum...:skepticalxmas: plus the recession has hit Oz to, why do you think they are thinking of cutting back on immigration.

Guest wiccanwitch

yes it is lovley here i mansfield to earlswood

were do i start

last week had to tell my kids that there isnt a xmas this yr and i can bloody tell you that broke my heart and theres

i have bearly enough money to feed my kids on i have bills coming out my ears

belifis here tomz (that will be fun ) not)

carnt afford to put my gas on let alone electric

SO YES WHAT A LOVLEY UK WE HAVE (not)

i think some one needs to open his eyes or get them from his backside ?

cheers earlwood:mad:

Guest earlswood
Oh yes, it's pure paradise here in Reading too.

Move to a better part of the UK then....it is very nice Stratford Cotswolds belt type area...:biggrinxmas:

Guest earlswood
yes it is lovley here i mansfield to earlswood

were do i start

last week had to tell my kids that there isnt a xmas this yr and i can bloody tell you that broke my heart and theres

i have bearly enough money to feed my kids on i have bills coming out my ears

belifis here tomz (that will be fun ) not)

carnt afford to put my gas on let alone electric

SO YES WHAT A LOVLEY UK WE HAVE (not)

i think some one needs to open his eyes or get them from his backside ?

cheers earlwood:mad:

If you cannot afford to live in the UK with all it's benifits how do you think you will survive in Oz that has no real benifits for people short of money.

Move to a better part of the UK then....it is very nice Stratford Cotswolds belt type area...:biggrinxmas:

No, our plan is to move to Oz.:smilexmas:

But I have to stress, yet again, it is NOT because I hate UK. I don't. Just that I am sure that we will have a better life in Oz. If we don't then we will come back, but it won't be because Australia is wrong, just that we don't like it.

I have no issues with you or anyone else not liking Australia, but I get very tired of hearing how awful one country is and how ultra-perfect another country is.

Any country is just a collection of people and I am afraid that people are people the world over.

Guest earlswood
No, our plan is to move to Oz.:smilexmas:

But I have to stress, yet again, it is NOT because I hate UK. I don't. Just that I am sure that we will have a better life in Oz. If we don't then we will come back, but it won't be because Australia is wrong, just that we don't like it.

I have no issues with you or anyone else not liking Australia, but I get very tired of hearing how awful one country is and how ultra-perfect another country is.

Any country is just a collection of people and I am afraid that people are people the world over.

Spot on....in the UK it is a national pastime inthe papers and on the news to run down the UK and overblow everything, they don,t do it in Oz but the Brits are whingers and will moan without any justification, both countries have good and bad but all you hear in the UK is the bad, in Australia they just will not knock their country like we knock ours....something to learn hey.

Do not worry…It’s good….people actually have a smile on their faces ….shops are brilliant and cheap, and the beer tastes like beer……curries taste wonderful after 2 years of not having a decent one….and where is this recession….the shops are BUZZIN….. Air feels good and cold and fresh...the old Country looks OK to me... :emoticon-signxmas:

Earlswood - they`re not smiling.....they`re grimacing as the cold hits their eyeballs and thinking about the debt they`ll have in 09!!:tonguexmas:

Guest earlswood
Earlswood - they`re not smiling.....they`re grimacing as the cold hits their eyeballs and thinking about the debt they`ll have in 09!!:tonguexmas:

If you want you can heve debt in any Country...no getting away from that.....just dont get into debt....coming to Oz will not make anything easier if you are the type that gets into debt.

Guest earlswood
I agree with you about debt.

But the cold IS still burning their eyeballs!

You must be a glass half full kind of guy!

I am, but this is a more "nanny state" than ever....banning cigarettes from behind counters and banning happy hours is a joke....:noxmas:

Do not worry…It’s good…the weather is cold but it is winter, the goverment is still crap but hey ho...the roads are overcrowdwd......but people actually have a smile on their faces ….shops are brilliant and cheap, and the beer tastes like beer……curries taste wonderful after 2 years of not having a decent one….and where is this recession….the shops are BUZZIN….. Air feels good and cold and fresh...the old Country looks OK to me...

rubbish.jpg

I WENT SHOPPING TODAY AND THE CENTRE WAS NEAR EMPTY !!!!! ..... YES THERE ARE LOTS OF SALES ON ... BUT MOST PEOPLE JUST CANT AFFORD TO SPEND ...FOR FEAR THEY MAY NOT HAVE A JOB AFTER XMAS !!! ..... MY SON HAS JUST BEEN MADE REDUNDANT .... MY DAUGHTER CANT EVEN FIND A PART TIME JOB AND MR K FINDS OUT ON FRIDAY IF HE IS ONE OF THE UNLUCKY ONES BEING PAID OF BY HIS COMPANY !!!! WE ARE LUCKY WE STILL HAVE A ROOF OVER OUR HEADS AND FOOD IN OUR BELLIES ...... BUT PLEASE DONT MAKE OUT ITS SUMMIT ITS NOT [MIND YOU THATS YOUR SPECIALITY NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE ] :madxmas:

MRS KEILY

From personal experience and in my opinion - Life in and around the City of London is crap!!! OH commutes everyday - those on the tube are more miserable than normal.... if thats possible!! People are being laid off left right and centre. My oh is in the Jewellery business - normally works a 70 plus hour week this time of year. They're all sitting about scratching theirs backside cos everyones watching the pennies, cant blame em, diamonds aint exactly top of the must haves where it can be spent elsewhere - Hatton Garden is like a ghost town. Hasnt been like this since the the early 90's. Its just not his industry - Went to Lakeside in Thurrock last week - normally heaving, people parking on the grass verges due to lack of packing spaces - I had a pick of spaces no problem.

It seriously is worrying for a lot of people. Negative equity is rife in London and surroundings. Property sales used to be on average 20 per week in an estate agents I worked for about 5 years ago, caught up with a former collegue, lucky if they sell one a week at the moment.

I cant comment on the rest of the country nor overseas, just my own personal observations.

xTinksx

Guest earlswood
From personal experience and in my opinion - Life in and around the City of London is crap!!! OH commutes everyday - those on the tube are more miserable than normal.... if thats possible!! People are being laid off left right and centre. My oh is in the Jewellery business - normally works a 70 plus hour week this time of year. They're all sitting about scratching theirs backside cos everyones watching the pennies, cant blame em, diamonds aint exactly top of the must haves where it can be spent elsewhere - Hatton Garden is like a ghost town. Hasnt been like this since the the early 90's. Its just not his industry - Went to Lakeside in Thurrock last week - normally heaving, people parking on the grass verges due to lack of packing spaces - I had a pick of spaces no problem.

It seriously is worrying for a lot of people. Negative equity is rife in London and surroundings. Property sales used to be on average 20 per week in an estate agents I worked for about 5 years ago, caught up with a former collegue, lucky if they sell one a week at the moment.

I cant comment on the rest of the country nor overseas, just my own personal observations.

xTinksx

The recession is hitting the world Oz included and that is why they are thinking of cutting down on immigration, but where I am in Stratford upon avon the shops are packed and the pubs are buzzin especially at weekends...I was quite surprised because I thought it was going to be really bad after hearing so much when I was in Oz, went into Birmingham last week and it was packe.... yes the shops are having sales early but you could not move....can only speak for my area though....

Guest earlswood
I think EW is still on a high from coming back to Oz....

Could be.... already thinking of joining aldo in Spain for thr summer.

Perhaps you might want to read this article about what is happening in Australia as well. Really, it isnt that much different from UK except we are about 8 months behind where the UK is now. The impact is going to be very similar. Our stores have been having major major sales (and all this before Christmas!). It's great if you have money and were going to buy stuff anyway but if your job is in peril (DH has lost his - the charity sector was first hit) or you are living off your super/savings (we are semi retired!) then you are going to struggle. Construction is obviously on a down turn and the same sort of woes are beginning to be felt by those in the construction industry as are mentioned by people in UK. This is a GLOBAL issue and Australia is not immune and while it banks on its resources boom to pull it out of the mire it is going to be in dire straits - the customers for our resources are also doing it tough and when the recovery starts, they are going to head for places which can offer the stuff at lower prices than we will be able to manage. It is going to be tough for everyone. I think Santa is going to be seriously downsized across the world this year.

Guest earlswood
Yes things will get tough wherever we are.

Its much easier being poor when its warm though. No heating to pay for. Can live without aircon. Plenty of farmers selling stuff on the highways cheap.

Well I was frigging frezzing in perth for 5 months....not poor but no heating in flat...:frownxmas:

Yes things will get tough wherever we are.

Its much easier being poor when its warm though. No heating to pay for. Can live without aircon. Plenty of farmers selling stuff on the highways cheap.

LOL you CAN live without aircon (we do) but life is so much easier if you dont have to - at least if you are cold you can always rug up and snuggle up with a hot water bottle but when it is hot - bleurgh! I have needed the evap air cooler (portable - it's all the DH will agree to! - several times already this year so not looking forward to the next few months.

The recession is hitting the world Oz included and that is why they are thinking of cutting down on immigration, but where I am in Stratford upon avon the shops are packed and the pubs are buzzin especially at weekends...I was quite surprised because I thought it was going to be really bad after hearing so much when I was in Oz, went into Birmingham last week and it was packe.... yes the shops are having sales early but you could not move....can only speak for my area though....

Thats the thing isnt it..... we can only go by personal experience. For my family, we are not migrating to get away from the recession, its just our time to move on and try something new. We, like many others, try to see the pros and cons in every decision we make, be it from buying a new pair of shoes that, although will go beautifully with that outfit in the wardobe, could potentially kill to walk in - random I know lol - to moving across the world. I have spent most of my life err'ing on the side of caution, others go for it, experience it - with and without regrets. We are certainly going to give it a go, hopefully it will suit us, we cant knock it till we've tried it.

BTW - Id suggest you steer clear of London Earls, as said on my post, just from personal experience. It seems tough down south, we are definately feeling it.

Glad your happy with your decision to come back to the UK Earls - at least you can say with a clear conscience that you tried it, but it wasnt right for you, rather than looking back when your old, grey and incontinent and saying what if??

Guest earlswood
Hey earls fancy a beer new years eve we land 4pm ????????

I love that old pub on the severn valley railway near you...you had enough of Oz as well.

Archived